An Adept Proposal for a Truly Comprehensive Ballistic Testing Protocol
8 g (124 gr) 9 mm FMJ RN bullets at a velocity of 398 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1305 ft/s ± 30 ft/s)
10.2 g (158 gr) .357 Magnum Jacketed Soft Point bullets at a velocity of 436 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1430 ft/s ± 30 ft/s).
|16 grain right circular cylinder. Minimum V50: 660 m/s (2165 ft/s)|
7.97 g (123 gr) 7.62×39mm mild steel core bullets at a velocity of 725 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (2380 ft/s ± 30 ft/s).
3.6 g (55 gr) 5.56×45mm M193 BT at a velocity of 990 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (3250 ft/s ± 30 ft/s).
4 g (62 gr) 5.56×45mm M855 BT at a velocity of 950 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (3115 ft/s ± 30 ft/s)
8.42g (130 gr) .270 Winchester soft point bullets at a velocity of 930 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (3060 fps ± 30 ft/s)
|War-Rated Hard Armor||8.3 g (128 gr) 7.62×51mm M993 WC AP at a velocity of 950 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (3115 ft/s ± 30 ft/s)|
– “Peace”-rated plates should be able to stop all of the rounds commonly encountered in domestic situations and in armed insurgency scenarios. This includes police actions, sub-peer conflicts, and certain varieties of near-peer conflict.
– The .270 Winchester is representative of a wide variety of hunting rounds, and, of that class, it is easily among the most potent at armor penetration. This is on account of its high mass, high velocity, and good sectional density. It is similar to, but much more potent than, the 7.62x51mm M80 Ball.
– The backface deformation limit can be moved to 57mm, or even further beyond, for several reasons:
(A) There are no accounts of deaths, and there are very few reported serious injuries, on account of body armor backface deformation. This is true even in real-world incidents where BFD seems to have been over 100mm.
(B) Most armor plates, these days, are worn inside armor carriers that include thick padding on the body side, reducing true BFD. When the 44mm BFD limit was developed, it did not take armor carriers into account.
(C) There are trauma pads and other foam pads that can reduce BFD further, if desired.
(D) Deformation is a kinetic energy absorption method for metals and fiber composites, and allowing more deformation implicitly allows for a better performance-to-weight ratio.
– War-rated plates, rated for full battle use against technological peers, should be capable of stopping M993 at an enhanced velocity, to represent emerging threats with WC-Co cores that seem likely to become ubiquitous in future peer conflict.
– With respect to soft armor: The fragmentation threat is much more relevant to military body armor than any handgun round. Pushing frag protection, and utterly depreciating protection from handgun threats, is the fastest way to better and more effective military soft armor.
– A soft armor panel with a 16gr. RCC V50 of 660 m/s, or greater, will be able to stop all common handgun threats in any event.